The goal of this renovation to Lagomarcino Hall on the Iowa State University campus was to consolidate and reallocate space, service, and resources to better serve the functions and services of the newly formed Iowa State University School of Education. Administrative offices and support spaces will be consolidated into a centralized “home” for the School of Education and a new exterior entrance addition, equipped with a handicap accessible elevator, will be built, creating higher visibility for the School as well as providing a common entry for ease of way finding and circulation. Both formal and informal collaborative and common space for students, faculty, and staff have been incorporated into the design to better serve modern pedagogies of education. The S.T.E.M. & Literacy classrooms will be centrally located within the complex with support staff located in nearby offices.
The location, size, and character of Lagomarcino Hall establish this building and its courtyards as significant landmarks within the context of the Iowa State University campus. This renovation of the 1954 International Style north wing of Lagomarcino Hall will update the undesirable “institutional”double loaded corridor building into an environment suitable for the needs of the School of Education administration, faculty, staff, and students. Designed as a simple, clean, and ‘transparent’ insertion into the existing building fabric, the new entry addition, technology rich interior spaces, and courtyard views will support collaborative interaction between students, staff, and faculty.